Thursday, March 15, 2012

How To Pump Up Your Cake Mix

Pin It


People are always asking me how I make my cakes so moist and delicious. They think I make them from scratch (heehee.) Nope. I always use a cake mix, always! But I add my own little gems to it making it a lot yummier! Give some of these a try. (p.s. Don't you love the hole cut out from my cake mix? My son does not let a box come into this house, or leave, without cutting out his Box Top for his school.)

First off, I always use a Betty Crocker mix. I have tried others and they just don't turn out as well as this brand. I'm not sure why, but I'm sticking to it!

Chocolate Cake:
I always add a small box chocolate pudding powder. Devil's Food is best, but any Chocolate flavor will do. I also add about a cup of Sour Cream. If you want a healthier version, you can add a cup of Greek Yogurt, (but it's a lot better with the sour cream.) I also add a little more water then the box calls for, and maybe an extra egg. Y'know, if you're feeling it. :)

White Cake:
White cake mixes usually are pretty moist anyway. So, I don't add a whole lot. I like to add about 1/2 cup plain yogurt. However, if you want a subtle flavor to your white cake, add a small carton of Key Lime Yogurt, or Lemon, or Raspberry, etc.

Yellow Cake:
Yellow Cakes are pretty crumby. So I again, I add about 1 cup of Sour Cream or plain Yogurt. Then maybe some extra water.

Red Velvet
The Sour Cream is perfect for a Red Velvet cake, about 1 cup. I also like to put some vanilla pudding. Don't worry about making the red color lighter, it actually makes it a bit brighter.

Those are the basics that I use. You can add them to any flavor of cake mix. Just make sure that the flavors you are using will compliment each other! Don't add your nearly expired Lemon Yogurt to your Chocolate Cake mix. Unless you want lemon chocolate. :)
Pin It!

2 comments:

Heather said...

A friend of mine who made cakes and sold them for showers, etc once told me to replace the water called for on a box mix with milk. It is amazing how that alone can make the cake so much better! I'll try adding the sour cream and pudding mixes, too!

Unknown said...

I have tried the sour cream and it tasted great but stuck to the pan and everything else that touched it. I couldnt frost it at all. Any suggestions?