Sunday, May 13, 2012

Salted Caramel Cupcakes {and Happy Mothers Day}


This past week, my sweet 5-year-old daughter came home from pre-school with a beautiful potted flower she had made herself, along with a painting that said "Mother, all flowers remind me of you." She showed them to me and since it was days before mothers day, I knew they were a gift for me. I told her, "Aww, this is so sweet. Thank you!" But she just looked at me funny and said, "Uh...these aren't for you. I decided I want to keep them." I gave her my best fake sad face and told her, "What about the card? It says all flowers remind you of me!" She simply said, "Yeah, flowers don't really remind me of you. Stoves and microwaves remind me of you."

SO, my mothers day gift was an afternoon of baking! Actually, this IS what I asked for. A quiet kitchen free of children running under my feet where I get to do one of my favorite things. And here is what I made...

Salted Caramel Cupcakes
{Truffle filled Chocolate Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream Frosting}

  • 1 box devil's food cake mix (plus ingredients for cake mix)
  • 1 small box instant chocolate pudding
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 jar Caramel topping
  • Sea Salt

Caramel Buttercream Frosting

  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3+ tsp. caramel topping (leftover from cupcakes)

Pre-heat oven to 350. In large bowl, combine cake mix plus ingredients for cake mix, pudding, and sour cream. Set aside. In small saucepan, heat whipping cream until boiling. Take off heat. Stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour into cupcake liners about 1/2 full. Spoon about a teaspoon of truffle sauce on top of cupcake batter. Bake for 18 minutes. Cool completely. Top each cupcake with a smear of caramel. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.

Next, in a separate bowl, mix butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add caramel until desired consistency. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with more sea salt.

P.S. My daughter ended up "surprising me" on Mothers Day morning with the flowers. I guess she was just holding out as a cover-up. I asked her if she would like to take care of the flowers for me, and she thought that was a great idea.

Pin It!

No comments: