Monday, February 4, 2013

Lion House Rolls


It took a few tries, and about 4 different "Real" Lion House Roll recipes, but I think I nailed it.  I have been making these every Sunday since the beginning of the year.  I read several different recipes, tried some different things, and added my own tips and tricks.  The last 3 times I have made these, they have turned out perfect!  Light, flaky, and delicious.  Here's how I "roll" (hahaha)...

Lion House Rolls

  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 Tbsp. yeast
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup powdered milk
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2-3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2-2 1/2 cups bread flour
In large mixer, let yeast dissolve in water.  I add a little bit (about 1 tbsp.) of the sugar to help it along.  Once it has foamed, add the rest of the sugar, dry milk, butter, egg, and salt.  Mix until smooth.  Add 1 cup all-purpose flour, and 1 cup bread flour.  Mix until smooth.  Add another cup of each flour.  Mix until smooth.  At this point, you have added 4 cups of flour.  Depending on where you live/time of year, the next part can get tricky.  I only add 1/2 cup of each flour next, so that's a total of 5 cups.  You may have to add up to 1-1 1/2 cups more.  You want the dough to be sticky, but slightly pull away from the bowl when mixing.  This part takes practice.  Next, with a rubber spatula, scrape dough off of sides of bowl.  Cover with damp towel and place in a warm part of the house.  Let rise double, about 1 hour.

Cover counter with flour, and roll dough out into large rectangle, about 1/4" thick. Brush dough with melted butter, about 1/4 cup. Cut dough into 2x4 rectangles with pizza cutter.  I watched THIS video of how the Lion House really rolls their rolls.  And that is exactly how I do it now.  If you skip the video, you can just lightly roll them up, and place seam side down on pan.  In my large sheet pan, I did about 3 rolls across, and 5 rolls down.  They need to be kind of close together to help each other raise.  Rise?  Whatever.  Again, cover with damp towel, and let them rise in a warm place for another hour.  Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, or until golden.  When done, brush tops with melted butter.  

Enjoy!

P.S.  I hope that wasn't too complicated.  It really isn't hard, and it is SOOO worth it.  They are amazing!  Please let me know if you have ANY questions!
Pin It!

No comments: